Short Term Scientific Mission (STSM) Applications under COST Action CM1306
Call for STSM Applications for the final (extension) Period of Funding Still Open
Short-term scientific missions (STSM) are exchange visits between researchers involved in a COST Action, allowing scientists to visit an institution or laboratory in another COST country. They are aimed at fostering collaboration and sharing of new techniques and infrastructure that may not be available in other participants’ institutions or laboratories. STSMs are intended especially for young researchers. The award usually includes travel and accommodation/subsistence. However, the financial support is a contribution to the costs of an STSM and may not necessarily cover all the costs. We are expecting to fund 10-20 STSMs in this funding period.
Deadlines for Applications
Normal submissions of STSM applications during the final funding period will close on 15th October 2018
ATTENTION: During the last MC Meeting held in Zagreb it was agreed to accept further STSM applications during the extension period, which will be assessed and approved per STSM & Action Chair’s decision, right up until the last minute. The requirement for these STSMs is the implicit understanding that all paperwork regarding the reports required for a complete STSM must be submitted by December 2nd 2018 (the last day of the Action). Failure to do so will result in no funding being paid. Priority will be given to applications which highlight how this STSM is necessary to deliver further Action outputs (joint publications). This may lead to reduced funding (partial support) being available, so we can support as many STSMs as possible!
All regular STSM visits, including the return of reports, must be completed by 1st December 2018. Detailed guidelines and eligibility rules can be found in Chapter 6 (pages 32-35) of the COST Vademecum. A PDF of this document (COST Vademecum Part 1 (COST Actions)) is available.
In summary, the agreed protocols for our STSMs are:
Duration, Eligibility and Funding
The permitted length of stay is 5-90 days and the STSM and its Final Report need to be completed within a single grant period (for this period, the STSM and final Report must be completed by 2nd December 2018). Preference will be given to ECIs and PhD students, with further considerations of country and gender balance. The group PI of the home or the host laboratory must be members of COST Action CM1306 and both countries must be eligible Participating COST Countries. Awards cannot be made for visits already started and awards will be announced within two weeks of the above deadlines.
Funding guidelines: up to 500 Euros per week accommodation/subsistence + economy travel by most economical route to a maximum total budget of 2500 Euros per STSM. It is the responsibility of the STSM awardee to ensure that only eligible incurred costs are claimed.
Actions and Documents Required for Application Process
- Obtain the written agreement of the host institution;
- Complete the online EU application form at (see https://e-services.cost.eu/stsm);
– Applications should be made online here.
- Send the following files by e-mail to the Chairs of the MC (email@example.com) and STSM Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) :
– the completed online application form;
– a short (~1 page) current CV, including any recent publications;
– a concise (1-2 pages) work plan that specifies clearly what you aim to achieve in the STSM visit and why you have chosen the host lab & especially how this will support delivery of an Action output;
– a letter of agreement for your visit from the host institution and, if you are not a PI, a letter of support from your PI for the visit.
Please also indicate in your e-mail which of the Working Group(s) (WG1 – WG5) within which your project falls.
After Completion of the STSM
Within 30 days of completion of the STSM (BUT before the end of the final funding period, Dec. 2nd 2018) you will need to send to the Action Chair and STSM Chair:
– a final Report (1-2 pages max.) of visit outcomes – see Vademecum;
– a short abstract with title, participating labs. and a single short paragraph including a suitable graphical image of outcomes for inclusion on our Action website; Further a brief (100-200 words maximum) dissemination text aimed at non-experts should also be written;
– a letter from the host laboratory confirming that the visit has been successfully undertaken.
Agreed costs cannot be reimbursed until the final report is received.
Please read Chapter 6 of the EU Vademecum for further details. Applications will be reviewed by our temporary STSM panel (Eurico Cabrita, STSM Chair, Portugal Fraser MacMillan, Action Chair, UK) and we aim to announce final decisions by Oct 18th 2018. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.