Short Term Scientific Mission (STSM) Applications under COST Action CM1306
Call for STSM Applications for the 4th Period of Funding Now Open
Short-term scientific missions (STSM) are exchange visits between researchers involved in a COST Action, allowing scientists to visit an institution or laboratory in another COST country. They are aimed at fostering collaboration and sharing of new techniques and infrastructure that may not be available in other participants’ institutions or laboratories. STSMs are intended especially for young researchers. The award usually includes travel and accommodation/subsistence. However, the financial support is a contribution to the costs of an STSM and may not necessarily cover all the costs. We are expecting to fund 10-20 STSMs in this funding period.
Deadlines for Applications
Submissions of STSM applications during the 4th funding period are open until 28th February 2018
ATTENTION: you have to submit your application at least two weeks prior to your planned STSM
All STSM visits, including the return of reports, must be completed by 30th April 2018. Detailed guidelines and eligibility rules can be found in Chapter 6 (pages 32-35) of the COST Vademecum. A PDF of this document (COST Vademecum Part 1 (COST Actions)) is available.
In summary, the agreed protocols for our STSMs are:
Duration, Eligibility and Funding
The permitted length of stay is 5-90 days and the STSM and its Final Report need to be completed within a single grant period (for this period, the STSM and final Report must be completed by 30th April 2018). Preference will be given to ECIs and PhD students, with further considerations of country and gender balance. The group PI of the home or the host laboratory must be members of COST Action CM1306 and both countries must be eligible Participating COST Countries. Awards cannot be made for visits already started and awards will be announced within two weeks of the above deadlines.
Funding guidelines: up to 500 Euros per week accommodation/subsistence + economy travel by most economical route to a maximum total budget of 2500 Euros per STSM. It is the responsibility of the STSM awardee to ensure that only eligible incurred costs are claimed.
Actions and Documents Required for Application Process
- Obtain the written agreement of the host institution;
- Complete the online EU application form at (see https://e-services.cost.eu/stsm);
– Applications should be made online here.
- Send the following files by e-mail to the Chairs of the MC (firstname.lastname@example.org) and STSM Committee (email@example.com) :
– the completed online application form;
– a short (~1 page) current CV, including any recent publications;
– a concise (1-2 pages) work plan that specifies clearly what you aim to achieve in the STSM visit and why you have chosen the host lab;
– a letter of agreement for your visit from the host institution and, if you are not a PI, a letter of support from your PI for the visit.
Please also indicate in your e-mail which of the Working Group(s) (WG1 – WG5) within which your project falls.
After Completion of the STSM
Within 30 days of completion of the STSM (and before the end of the current funding period) you will need to send to the Action Chair and STSM Chair:
– a final Report (1-2 pages max.) of visit outcomes – see Vademecum;
– a short abstract with title, participating labs. and a single short paragraph including a suitable graphical image of outcomes for inclusion on our Action website; Further a brief (100-200 words maximum) dissemination text aimed at non-experts should also be written;
– a letter from the host laboratory confirming that the visit has been successfully undertaken.
Agreed costs cannot be reimbursed until the final report is received.
Please read Chapter 6 of the EU Vademecum for further details. Applications will be reviewed by our STSM panel (Peter Rich, Chair, UK; Jens Preben Morth, Norway, Irene Margiolaki, Greece) and we aim to announce decisions within two weeks of the deadlines. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.